The Buffalo Bills lost last night, 17 - 6 to the Detroit Lions, in a game that best can be describe as "slightly more exciting than watching paint dry".
The Bills rested all of their defensive starters, and most of their offensive starters against an equally weak set of starters from the Lions.
I won't jump into this much because, well, let's be honest, the game was pretty much in place to determine who would get cut and who wouldn't, but here are some quick thoughts:
- Other top defensive rookie Jairus Byrd also looked great, with some nice pass coverage and a pick in the endzone off a bobbled pass.
- Nic Harris, Ellis Lankster, and Marcus Buggs also excelled at their respective defensive positions, especially Harris, whom I predict will be starting over Keith Ellison by week 3.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick looked very "Trent Edwardish". That is no longer a good thing. Remember, we are looking for "a better Kelly Holcomb"!
- Our running game continues to struggle. I know, I know these were the back ups, but still, the running game has been atrocious.
- There also appears to be some veterans on the way out. Ryan Denney looks like he has lost favor with the coaching staff, and Maybin, Bryan, and Ellis will all probably make the roster over him. Ashton Youboty and Ko Simpson both continue to struggle in coverage, while the rookies excel. I just noticed that Steve Saslow over at Billsdaily.com agrees.
- Finally, I would not be at all surprised if Dominic Rhodes is off this team by week 4 when Marshawn returns, or maybe even on this Saturday when final cuts are made. I realize Fred Jackson is banged up, but Xavier Omon and even Fullback/Flasher Corey McIntyre have put up better numbers and effort over the entire pre-season.