What a bananas summer. If you've been following us here at DGWU Sports since the Sabres playoff run ended - and THANK YOU, if so - you've been acutely aware of our shared struggles at finding content to keep the posts coming. For me, it's been tempered by my love for the Mets - though, their general poor play has mitigated any boon to my productivity - as well as the legal issues surrounding the NFL Lockout, and my rather lonely interest in the Women's World Cup. Regardless, as I am still pretty new to the site, the struggle with keeping things fresh has probably been easier for me than the rest of the News Team, since they're actually all used to having, well, news - and in particular, Buffalo news - to talk about.
Happily, this is all going to change soon. Of course, the Bills' season starts in earnest next Sunday, and with reports of KC's Matt Cassel suffering an injury which may keep him off the field on Sunday, it looks like the Bills season may start with a little big of a leg up. Have at it, boys.
Or not. What the hell do I know? However it plays out, I'm PUMPED for this season to start, and for my predictions to fall apart before my eyes.
Either way, here we are at the end of summer - socially speaking, not astronomically - and Buffalo fans have a lot to look forward to (and fear...really, as much as things change, they really do stay the fucking same). It's been a long and arduous summer here at DGWU Sports, with some highs and lows, and thanks for sticking it out with us as we've trudged through the muck of these hot and humid months. In case you've missed some of the highlights, and in case you're still looking for some reading to pull you through this last week before the real fun starts, here are my completely subjective and probably debatable top 10 posts of the summer.
10. The Apologist dives Back Into Baseball, replete with predictions which are worth looking at as we head into the MLB postseason.
9. The Scizz continues a great series (which started here), with my personal favorite: The Buffalo Sabres: Where Are They Now Continued.... (h/t to all the contibutors via twitter, etc., who helped out with these gems)
8. The Yachtsman revels in the loss of Southern Hockey in Atlanta with What Is and What Should Never Be. (He also follows it up with a great post, Realignment, but since he's been so MIA this summer, I couldn't justify giving him more than 2 spots in my top 10).
7. The Scizz talks wrestling, which was WAY too common this summer, with a breakdown of his top 10 wrestler debuts: It's All in the Debut, with a Part Deux as well. (h/t to Joe from Buffalo Wins for his contributions on this two-parter).
6. The last of my discussions on the various legal angles of the NFL labor dispute, Write this Down: The NFL Owners Cannot Be Trusted. (For my previous summer posts on the subject, you can go here and here. #shamelessplug)
5. The Apologist gets our free agency "coverage" going with Sabres Start Free Agency With A Bang... Before It's Even Started
4. I piss more than a few stupid ass Sabres fans off with my utter dismantling of the argument that Tim Connolly wasn't completely worthless in the playoffs, in I Hate Having to Say So, But You're an Idiot.
3. The Apologist gets excited for the NFL and NFL-hyping media with Football is Back. Damnit.
2. The Scizz digs deep on his Bills fandom and the frustrations of this offseason with Stick a Wrench in Me. I'm Done.
1. And, of course, Ralph Wilson is an odious taint.
In any event, it has been a great summer, and I for one am happy to have been a part of it here at DGWU Sports. Taking us out, for those that don't follow me or Scizz on twitter, is the most recent of our "Streetcasts," recorded last Thursday in the midst of some day-into-night-drinking out in Hoboken and featuring further thoughts on the Bills as we head towards yet another season of oblivion. Enjoy.